Saturday, August 14, 2010

building a home



God's been working on my heart lately about really taking my roles as mother and wife seriously. not that i thought he was kidding before, but i've realized the peace and satisfaction that i get from fulfilling these two roles and i want to make sure i'm being the best i can be at both of them. at this point in my life, i know that my main priorities should be at home, making it a place of refuge and encouragement for T and of learning, love, and safety for I.

i never realized how accountable i would be to God for the way i handle these two roles. just like teaching at school, i feel like i am solely responsible for the atmosphere i create & the attitudes and characters that are built as a result. i'm trying not to be too 'old-fashioned' or sound as if i'm against any working mom (i was one for a short time) or wife who wants to earn her place as a financial contributor. sometimes, i don't like depending on T to be the breadwinner. i have earned two college degrees, a full time job position in the public schools, and a paycheck that is quite comparable to my husband's. i'm learning to let him provide in financial ways so that i can provide in other ways that i couldn't quite as well as if i were still working full time.

i want to briefly share the journey that God is putting me on as new mother and a wife of a minister. i'll go up against anyone who says those roles aren't challenging and sometimes frustrating. i'd also argue that they can be the most rewarding. they are roles blessed by God and to be taken very seriously.

i've found another blog (surprise, surprise) that i love dearly. it's called passionate homemaking and she writes about Titus 2:4-5 where he instructs women to be the main keepers of the home, and what a Biblical thing that is. check out her blog...it's pretty incredible. stocked with all sorts of great recipes, diy natural cleaning products, articles that make you think, and best of all...how God is tied into all of it.

ok, back to my point. in one of her posts entitled, "homemaking is about people" she used this statement. i feel like i need to post it somewhere and remind myself every day of why i'm choosing to stay home, a choice that is sometimes looked down upon or questioned in an economy such as the one we face today. This statement explains exactly what my goals should be:

The point of being a keeper at home is to provide a haven for a godly family to thrive, to offer hospitality to fellow Christians and non-Christians alike, and to provide a place for the church to meet.


-taken from Caroyln McCulley’s Radical Womanhood

wow. so much packed into one statement! more on that later... thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I felt like you took words right out of my mouth! I have had these same feelings lately. I love being at home with Jake. I don't miss working full time at all, but I want to do a better job at home then I have been, especially when it comes too creating more of a peaceful environment for Joe and Jake. I am gonna check out that blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of her blog, but now I am really going to check it out! Isn't it funny how as a woman we go through so many "identity crisis's". From working to staying home, to not feeling supportive enough, to feeling lonely, etc! Crazy stuff...thanks for opening up this topic, something God has also really put on my heart and mind. Have a great weekend, Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Courtney! Cassandra sent me your post because she knew it would bless me and it did! Biblical womanhood and God's calling on our lives as women has been the focus of my walk with Him this year! I commend you for stepping out in faith and fulfilling your God-given roles as a wife and mother. It was such a tough choice for me since we busted our butts in Teacher -Ed :) I am blessed that you are following that tug in your heart to do what's best for your family. If you have time (between doing the dishes or preparing dinner for your precious family), you might wanna check out this Bible study that I did this year : http://www.amazon.com/Feminine-Appeal-Carolyn-Mahaney/dp/1581346158

    It's pretty much a Bible Study on Titus 2 and being a godly wife and mother. It blessed me so much so I thought I would share. In the mean time, I pray that God keeps allowing you to stay at home and minister to your family. Can't wait to meet your little one, one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Courtney, Check out my friend's blog: http://www.lifeasacrazyquilt.com/ She and her husband are heading to Singapore as missionaries soon. We all went to high school together. You might enjoy the perspective of a (slightly) older woman's journey. Jen McNeil

    ReplyDelete