Saturday, March 13, 2010

yes, please



i went yesterday to JoAnn Fabrics and picked out several yummy yards of material that would make really good projects. i also picked up some basics to get me started on my new simple sewing endeavor like scissors, a seam ripper, pins, measuring tape, etc. all i need now is a sewing machine - haha. i'm in the process of looking around and researching what's out there, possibly scoring a great deal on craigslist or finding a great sale in the store. we're also waiting for our tax refund so i can actually go get it...and our new washer/dryer!! (oh, mama's happy.)

this is a picture of a book that i think would fit me perfectly. most of the fabric i bought was in one yard pieces, since i'm not trying to make anything too big, and most patterns have a patchwork-y type of look. i'm still running into the dilemma of every store having WAY too many cute baby girl prints and not very many cute baby boy prints...i'm just not feelin' the spiderman and sponge bob. blech.

i wrote down several books at B&N while i was there to hunt for on amazon.com, so we'll see what i come up with! plus, if i'm going homemade then it will be fun to have someone else's used books.

*if you feel inclined to send this book my way, i wouldn't argue. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hawthornethreads.com

    wonderful fabric site. good sales. not so bleh as joann's. I've learned to get all my patterned fabric online. Also, you can usually find etsy fabric shops with good sales.

    I can't wait for you to get a machine! You will be addicted :)

    oh, yeah and if you are looking for boy stuff to make, don't buy a book, go here:
    http://www.dana-made-it.com/search/label/Celebrate%20the%20BOY

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, jess! again...so glad i found your blog and reconnected with a mom who sews:) you will be a huge help to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Court, I find quite often when I'm in the mood to buy some bead books that the best selection out there is on eBay (and with some great prices) so maybe go to eBay and search on "sewing books". eBay is like the biggest used book store in the world. I just bought a bead book from Japan the other day. Shipping was free--although it will probably take two weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally need that book, too! I just bought some fabric to make Molly some dresses. We will see, I have never done it before! Here's to new adventures!

    ReplyDelete