Wednesday, May 26, 2010

honey funnies


this is one of the snacks that i make that doesn't last even twenty four hours in our house. with just tim and i. not even kidding. i made them last night and tonight, i think we may have one left (and i have plans for it in a few). we both love them and they're super easy to make. i got the recipe from my mom, who used to make them a lot for us as kids (probably one of the reasons my sister developed a fatal peanut allergy later in life - only kidding). they're great for kids (after 2 years, of course)because they can be molded and shaped, like an edible playdough. i just roll (or scoop) them into balls and eat a few with a glass of milk.

ingredients:
1 jar creamy peanut butter
1 bear of honey (or agave nectar)*
powdered milk
wheat bran (optional)


mix all ingredients well. the measurements are really just estimates. i usually end up using almost an entire jar of peanut butter, depending on how big of a batch i make. add powdered milk and honey as you need to make a sticky but still pretty doughy consistency. you need mostly peanut butter & powdered milk, then honey & wheat germ are added for taste and to adjust texture. i add the wheat bran for nutritional value. i've seen these made several different ways and i'm sure there's a hundred things you could add like i did the wheat bran. it's just what happened to be staring at me when i opened the cabinet door.





if you want to roll them into balls by hand, go for it. i have a handy dandy cookie dough scoop from Pampered Chef *dreamy sigh* and it goes much faster. store in the refrigerator.

i might have to try them dipped in chocolate....

*note: i only used half agave and half honey. the light agave nectar that i bought isn't sticky enough to bind everything together, so it's really important to have honey. the agave adds sweetness without so much sugar. i haven't heard anyone say they notice a difference in taste yet!

8 comments:

  1. I make a very similar recipe. I roll mine in wheat germ and instead of bran I use oatmeal. they are good and I also need to dip them in honey and put them in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mom used to make that stuff too...wow, it is the best. thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dipped in darrrrrkkkk chocolate...mmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh i love those. thanks for posting them when i can't have honey! lol. i'll keep this post bookmarked for the future. i wonder if there's anything else that could make them stick together. hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was secretly hoping that was bill, bets. HA! I plan on making these ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally going to make these with Annabel this afternoon! I bet molasses would keep them together- yum! Or maybe maple syrup? I don't know- might be too runny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Corn syrup is the right consistency. I'd try that instead, if honey is a problem.
    I was about to make these for a friend, totally not thinking that peanut butter has peanuts in it. Her kids are highly allergic. Oops.

    ReplyDelete