Monday, March 14, 2011

40 bags in 40 days

i'm a fan of organization. note: i didn't say i WAS organized. but i try. and it's an aspired dream to have systems & bins & plans in place for everything, especially as our family will continue to grow.

i came across this blog about how organizing and purging your home of junk and unneccessary things will slowly help simplify your life and make more room for God. totally on board! i take no credit for this idea; i'm simply jumping on the bandwagon. but it's a neat & organized bandwagon, so there's plenty of room for me.

the gist:
there are 40 days of Lent, the season before Easter. make a list of 40 areas in your home & each day, you will go through and sort, organize & clean that area. done.

the point:
simplify your life. we store most of our stuff, thinking we'll use it someday. in reality, if we can't find it or have access to it, we may as well not own it. it's just causing more frustrations and clutter than anything.

the list:
i mentally walked through the house and listed every area that needed to be purged (our closet, nightstands, clothes storage, hall closet, desk, pantry, etc.) i was very specific about some things, knowing that if it's too big a job, i won't do it in a day. remember things like your wallet, purse, refrigerator, car, etc.

i'm a few days shy of starting on Ash Wednesday for Lent, so maybe I can tackle 2 or 3 small areas to catch up. maybe all the extra stuff that i decided we didn't need can go in a garage sale this spring or donate to Dove Harbor, a women's shelter ministry in the area. it's just not going back in the house!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I feel like the older I get, all 27 years, the more I realize I don't need half the junk I have! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the hard part is not buying more junk later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took this challenge this week during my spring break. I didn't quite fill 40 bags though. I cleaned out everything!!!! Thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete