Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Bean Muffins

Yes, these sound strange. Even gross in a health freak sort of way. Never fear, I wouldn't do that to you. This recipe was introduced to us at a MOPS event about healthy eating & a girlfriend of mine said her son almost begged her for them daily, so I had to whip some up. They turned out wonderfully & before I could even explain that they were made with beans, Tim had gobbled some up and declared his affection. Well, no need to spoil anyone's fun. Glad you like them, honey. *smile*

I made this in a mini muffin pan and just adjusted the baking time. I also added some sweetener (agave, honey, sugar, etc.) just to sweeten it up a tad.

Bean Muffins

1 can light red kidney beans OR 1 1/4 c. home cooked beans
3/4 c. skim milk (or almond, soy, etc.)
2 egg whites OR 1 egg
1/4 unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/16 t. ground cloves

Drain & rinse beans. Puree beans in food processor, gradually adding milk. Pour bean mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in eggs, applesauce and brown sugar. Measure and combine dry ingredients seperately; add to bean mixture. Stir until just moistened. Fill muffin pan & bake at 400 for 15 mins.

Optional: adding raisins & nuts. I opted out, since I made these with someone in mind who is short on teeth:)

1 comment:

  1. So, I am curious, what do they taste like? By the way...I like your new blog layout and picture!

    ReplyDelete